082 Campus Central de la Universidad Aalto. Otaniemi, Finland
082 Central Campus Aalto University. Otaniemi, Finland
The arteries are menbraneous and elastic channels with ramifications that carry blood from the heart to all the organs of the body.
On our Campus, the artery is the generator of the entire project, is a continuous, flexible space that connects all buildings on different plants and in different ways, with the aim of creating a space that provides the processes of creation, innovation and distribution or transmission of knowledge and social interaction (a space for inspiration, learning, drink, talk, rest and also STUDY) an area of exchange and collaboration. A succession of open and closed/porous spaces, continuous and elastic, which are linking the buildings, connecting and invading them, and which is designed with a high spatial quality and quality in furniture, lighting, acoustics, color (yellow; representative of communication, spontaneity, enthusiasm, expressiveness and sociability), etc. that will positively influence the motivation, performance, study, research, health and welfare of the entire academic and therefore the community interaction and the MIXING of all groups (teachers, researchers, students, technologists, managers, administrative, social and economic agents, publics and privates) from different disciplines that intersect functions, areas of knowledge, and which generate equipment and informal and spontaneous processes that foster collaboration, creativity and innovation.
A sufficiently flexible and changing space that will pose new requirements of content and work, study and research environments in the future.
The design of the ARTery suffers different transformations focused on:
– Invade and infect different interior spaces, crossing, communicating and joining them….
– Expand and collapse, by varying the pressure of the ARTery which is what produces the “pulse” and reflects the academic (heart) activity.
– Jump from different bridges that work as route shortcuts, connections of organs of similar uses, areas without a defined programme or for interaction and rest.
– Manifest in façade to illuminate ventilate and go outside to create open air squares in height making the building sweat through its interaction with the environment.
– Branch out to convert into a network of pores that can absorbe the outside air and mix all knowledge areas.
– Connect with all the levels , the terrain and the most puclic and commercial buried podium using large empty spaces next to vertical communication cores.
Arquitecto Architect Marcos Parga_PO2 Arquitectos / Tipo Type Mención Honorífica Concurso Internacional 2 Fases Honorable Mention International Competition 2 Phases / Cliente Client Aalto University / Fecha Date 2013 / Superficie Total Area 52.000m2 / Bocetos Sketches Marcos Parga